COVID-19 Testing for Coastal Patients
We have received many questions from Coastal Medical patients regarding COVID-19 testing. Please use this link to view answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
Coastal Medical is committed to helping improve access to testing for COVID-19 for Coastal Medical patients with symptoms (symptomatic).
For information about receiving testing and links to additional resources, please use the drop-downs below:
(+ opens section, - closes section)
- Adult patients requesting COVID testing at Coastal Medical: Please send us a message through the patient portal or call for an appointment at our Coastal365 Adult Respiratory Clinic (outside), at 1-800-822-5981.
- Pediatric patients requesting COVID testing at Coastal Medical: Please send us a message through the patient portal or call your practice directly.
- To self-schedule at a RIDOH testing location for both adult and pediatric patients: please visit portal.ri.gov
Current Booking/Result Times for Testing:
- Test booked: Next day
- Rapid test results received: Same day as test
- PCR test results received: 3-5 days
Note: Symptomatic patients (those with symptoms) will get swabbed twice during your appointment (Rapid test & PCR test). If the Rapid test results are negative the day of your appointment, the PCR test is used to confirm those results. Asymptomatic patients (those without symptoms) will get swabbed only using the rapid test unless specified by their primary care provider.
What to expect
During this public health crisis, the Rhode Island Department of Health (RIDOH) may be in touch with you about your COVID-19 test results for contact tracing purposes.
- The RIDOH may contact you with results before your primary care clinician receives them.
- Many labs reach out to patients with results directly to ensure timely access to results.
- Results can be accessed in different ways – please see below for details.
How to access your results
Coastal Medical locations:
You will be able to access results for testing completed at a Coastal Medical location once your results have been reviewed by your clinician. The results will be available on Coastal Medical’s patient portal: coastalmedical.com/patient-portal
Coastal’s testing sites currently utilize East Side Clinical Lab (ESCL). You can access the ESCL portal at: escl.luminatehealth.com
RIDOH/National Guard Sites:
The fastest way to access results for testing performed through an RIDOH/National Guard location is by visiting portal.ri.gov/results. You can log in to this website with your name, date of birth, testing date and phone number.
For issues accessing these test results, you can contact the RI Department of Health: 401-222-8022
Please Note: there may be a delay in these results being shared with your primary care clinician.
Alternative Respiratory Clinic and Testing Site locations
Common questions asked by Coastal patients about COVID-19 Testing
COVID-19 Testing: Frequently Asked Questions
Tips for at-home quarantining or self-monitoring
COVID-19 Incubation Timeline (Graphic)
Symptoms of COVID-19
People with COVID-19 have had a wide range of symptoms reported – ranging from mild symptoms to severe illness. Symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure to the virus. People with these symptoms may have COVID-19:
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Fever or chills
- Muscle or body aches
- Sore throat
- Nausea or vomiting
- Runny nose or stuffy nose
- Recent loss of taste or smell
Children have similar symptoms to adults and generally have mild illness.