COVID-19 Testing for Coastal Patients
We have received many questions from Coastal Medical patients regarding COVID-19 testing. Please use this link to view answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
Coastal Medical is committed to helping improve access to testing for COVID-19 for Coastal Medical patients with symptoms (symptomatic).
For information about receiving testing and links to additional resources, please use the drop-downs below:
(+ opens section, - closes section)
The information below does NOT apply to Pre-K - 12 students or staff. These Coastal patients should view the "Pre-K - 12 Testing & Results" section.
- To schedule a visit for an in-person evaluation at our Coastal365 Respiratory Clinic (outside), call 1-800-822-5981.
- To schedule COVID testing ONLY please click below for an appointment at Coastal Medical or for assistance booking through the RI Department of Health (RIDOH) site:
You will receive a confirmation by text, typically within 24 hours of submitting the request. Your provider may also follow up with you regarding your symptoms through a telemedicine or phone visit.
You can also self-schedule at a RIDOH testing location through portal.ri.gov
Current Booking/Result Times for Testing:
- Test booked: Next day
- Rapid test results received: Same day as test
- PCR test results received: 3-5 days
Note: You will get swabbed twice during your appointment (Rapid test & PCR test). If the Rapid test results are negative the day of your appointment, the PCR test is used to confirm those results.
RIDOH State Testing Sites:
- Test booked: Same day or next day
- Results received: 1-2 days
Please Note: Turnaround time for testing at each location varies based on demand.
Due to high demand, Coastal Medical is currently not testing patients without symptoms (asymptomatic). We encourage patients without symptoms who need COVID-19 testing to visit portal.ri.gov or click here for alternative testing options.
What to expect
During this public health crisis, the Rhode Island Department of Health (RIDOH) may be in touch with you about your COVID-19 test results for contact tracing purposes.
- The RIDOH may contact you with results before your primary care clinician receives them.
- Many labs reach out to patients with results directly to ensure timely access to results.
- Results can be accessed in different ways – please see below for details.
How to access your results
Coastal Medical locations:
You will be able to access results for testing completed at a Coastal Medical location once your results have been reviewed by your clinician. The results will be available on Coastal Medical’s patient portal: coastalmedical.com/patient-portal
Coastal’s testing sites currently utilize East Side Clinical Lab (ESCL). You can access the ESCL portal at: escl.luminatehealth.com
RIDOH/National Guard Sites:
The fastest way to access results for testing performed through an RIDOH/National Guard location is by visiting portal.ri.gov/results. You can log in to this website with your name, date of birth, testing date and phone number.
For issues accessing these test results, you can contact the RI Department of Health: 401-222-8022
Please Note: there may be a delay in these results being shared with your primary care clinician.
This service is for Coastal Medical patients who are students, teachers, or staff members of any public or private Pre-K – 12 school throughout the state who have symptoms, have been identified as a close contact of a positive case, or who are classmates or teachers of a positive case. (If this does not apply to you and you need testing, please view the information under the Symptomatic or Asymptomatic Testing headers.)
K-12 Testing through Coastal Medical is offered at Bald Hill Pediatrics location only at this time for Coastal Medical patients. If you are not a Coastal Medical patient, please visit portal.ri.gov or https://covid.ri.gov/testing/testing-k-12-students-and-staff for more information on how to access other K-12 testing sites
Testing available in Pre-K - 12 Program
- Anyone who has COVID-19 symptoms will get two tests: a rapid test and a PCR test.
- Anyone who does not have symptoms, but had close contact with someone who has COVID-19, will get a PCR test only*.
* Note: For testing related to exposure, RIDOH now recommends waiting 5 days after you were exposed to be tested.
Schedule Pre-K - 12 Test
Results can be accessed at portal.ri.gov/results or the Coastal Medical patient portal. Please note, for results on the RIDOH portal, you will get an error message if you try to access this portal before your results are ready or if the information you enter does not match the record.
Alternative Respiratory Clinic and Testing Site locations
Common questions asked by Coastal patients about COVID-19 Testing
COVID-19 Testing: Frequently Asked Questions
Tips for at-home quarantining or self-monitoring
COVID-19 Incubation Timeline (Graphic)
Symptoms of COVID-19
People with COVID-19 have had a wide range of symptoms reported – ranging from mild symptoms to severe illness. Symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure to the virus. People with these symptoms may have COVID-19:
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Fever or chills
- Muscle or body aches
- Sore throat
- Nausea or vomiting
- Runny nose or stuffy nose
- Recent loss of taste or smell
Children have similar symptoms to adults and generally have mild illness.